Risheng Xu MD/PhD
Written by neurosurgery residents for neurosurgery residents and other providers, The Neurosurgical Consult Book focuses on the initial care and treatment of the neurosurgical consult patient, providing the key guidance you need when quick clinical management decisions are critical. You will learn to recognize the acuity of patient presentation and determine how to immediately triage the needs of the patient at an appropriate level of care. This portable, practical guide helps you quickly steer neurosurgical patients to medical stability and safety until a definitive treatment plan is implemented.
- Features a real-life approach, based on actual consults, with chapters titled by the symptoms and clinical presentation of the patient, not by neurosurgical diagnosis.
- Begins each chapter with the actual consult notification from the consulting team, mimicking how the neurosurgery provider is notified about a new patient in practice.
- Presents initial imaging as it occurs in real life―whether imaging has already been done or whether the consulting physician needs guidance on what imaging is needed.
- Includes “Walking Thoughts”, guidance on how to tailor your thoughts toward the most important and pressing issues facing the patients before even meeting them, so that upon evaluation, the most important questions are asked first.
- Covers the most essential neurosurgical grading scales, key physical exam findings, the systematic thought process behind triage management, and learning points to remember when seeing a particular type of neurosurgical patient.
- Summarizes evidence-based standards of care and key literature.
- Stepwise video demonstration of the most common emergent bedside procedures.
- An excellent learning tool for neurosurgery residents as well as neurosurgery fellows, neurology residents, emergency room providers, neurocritical care providers, registered nurses, clinical fellows, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, medical students, and nursing students.
- Enhanced eBook version included with purchase. Your enhanced eBook allows you to access all of the text, figures, videos, and references from the book on a variety of devices.
Note: Only Surgery member can download this ebook. Learn more here!